Sunday, 24 April 2011

Horse Manure for the Allotment

Last year we took over an allotment that had not been worked for many years, the soil was hard and compacted, and weeds ruled. In August we covered a small area with horse manure, this improved the soil quality and made it easier to pull long roots. Because clearing the ground for planting this year was so difficult we decided to cover a third of the allotment with horse manure, and we will plant in compost plugs dug into it.

A local riding school has a pile of horse manure which they are pleased to have removed. For the last three weeks I have been collecting manure each night on the way home from work. Fortunately, I have four large boxes which fit beautifully into FTP allowing clean transportation. I am just pleased to have the large flat load space, and the low plastic covered boot lip.




Most of the pile is now spread on our allotment!

Sunday, 3 April 2011

2nd Service, 18,126 miles.

Second service completed, 18,126 miles. Nothing to report.