Sunday 22 August 2010

20 mph is good in Corby, or any other residential area for that matter.

Most residential areas in Corby have 20 mph speed limits. I often find drivers impatient, with some coming far too close in the hope that I will drive faster, and some overtaking recklessly, as I try to drive responsibly. People suggest that there is no need to drive at 20, because they have proved 30 (and even 30+) to be safe because they have driven for years without an accident.

The other night I was driving FTP home from Corby station, the sun was shining and the road was dry. I was driving around a Renault Scenic which was parked on the left side of the road, when a 4 year old girl ran from behind the parked car. Having no warning of her presence until she in front of FTP, I managed to stop without hitting her - but only just. I was traveling at 20 mph, if I had have been going at 30 mph I would have hit her.

Incidents are rare, but I am glad I was not reckless, especially with another persons suffering. I have long been sympathetic to the idea of 20 being the standard speed for residential areas; now I have tangible experience that believing 30 mph is safe on residential streets is just wishful thinking.

2 comments:

  1. So based on one experience you're going to condemn the whole of the rest of the country's long distance drivers to a living death because one, presumably unsupervised 4 year child, ran out into the road. When will you people be honest and just admit that you pathologically hate cars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your right, 20 mph on housing estates and residential streets. main arterial routes should remain at 30 mph.

    ReplyDelete